Issuer FAQ

The following frequently asked questions have been provided to help issuers better understand DTCC, NOBO and OBO reports, and general issuer account questions.

What is DTC?

DTC is an acronym for the Depository Trust Company. DTC is the central depository for the brokerage community where stock and bond certificates are deposited or transferred by the broker participants. The main function of DTC is to clear and settle stock trades and provide custody of securities in an automated environment. For every trade, there is a buyer and a seller. DTC provides an efficient and safe way for the buyer and seller to exchange securities electronically and in a centralized location eliminating the need or physical stock certificates and time for transit.

DTC is a member of the Federal Reserve system, owned by the Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation (DTCC). DTCC, in turn, is owned by serveral banks, brokerage houses and trading exchanges.

What is Cede & Co.?

Cede & Co. is merely the nominee name for DTC. DTC and Cede & Co. are synonymous and are often used interchangeably.

What is "street name"?

"Street name" is the term given to securities held in the name of a brokerage on behalf of a customer, usually done to facilitate subsequent transactions. Street name refers to beneficial shareholders who maintain their ownership through a brokerage without holding a stock certificate.

How do I find out who the "street name" (NOBO/OBO) holders are?

Typically, "street name" beneficial owners are not identifiable. However, an issuer may be able to identify a portion of the "street" population by obtaining a list of Non-Objecting Beneficial Owners ("NOBO" list). An issuer can request a NOBO listing from Broadridge (Download a NOBO List Request Form from our Issuer Forms page and fax to Broadridge directly. Please note that only an officer or board member may sign it.) Some brokers may use another service provider other than Broadridge to manage their NOBO holders. In order to find a listing of these brokers, issuers can order a DTCC Position Listing from DTCC's website.

The NOBO listing will indicate those beneficial owners who have instructed their broker that they do not object to the disclosing of certain ownership information about themselves. Beneficial owners that do object to the disclosure of certain ownership information about themselves are called Objecting Beneficial Owners (OBO). Non-Objecting Beneficial Owners and Objecting Beneficial Owners constitute the entire "street name" population. Consequently, a NOBO list will only provide the identities of a segment of the aggregate beneficial owner population.

Does Colonial have proxy printing capabilities?

Colonial provides financial printing services with saddle-stitch or booklet bindings in full color or black and white for all mailings including proxy meetings. To obtain a quote, please contact us.

We are changing the name of our company, what should we do?

To complete a name change, please see our Corporate Actions page for more details.

How do I request an issuance to investors?

We require a letter by email, fax, or mail requesting the issuance. The letter must contain the shareholder's name, address, social security number or TIN, cost basis, and the number of shares to be issued. If there is a Beneficial Ownership Date it must be clearly indicated on the letter. The letter should have the signature of a corporate officer and delivery instructions for the certificates. Supporting board resolutions and documentation should be included in the submission. Please feel free to use our Issuer Resolution Form on our Issuer Forms page.

How do I order stock certificates?

TTP Transfer Services is able to make custom stock certificates for your company.

To order stock certificates, please contact us. Here are a few items that you will need to complete your order:

  • State of Incorporation
  • CUSIP number
  • Par Value
  • Number of authorized shares

We will provide a proof of the stock certificate and will not proceed with printing until you are 100% satisfied.

What are the transfer fees for issuers?

We would be pleased to provide you with a fee proposal for our services. Contact us for more information.

How can I order a DTCC Position Listing?

The DTCC Position Listing Request Website will show you how to obtain a security position listing, obtain a DTCC login, and the contact information for DTCC.

What are Colonial's press release service fees?
Colonial provides 20% off of press release services and an affordable flat-rate option to issuers who sign up through its link. To sign up through Colonial's, please visit our Press Release Services page for more information.
Does Colonial offer annual shareholder meeting & proxy services?

Please see our Annual Shareholder Meeting & Proxy page for a detailed look at how TTP Transfer Services can provide you and your shareholders complete and professional support.

How do I become a DTC FAST or DWAC issuer?

To become a FAST eligible issuer, Colonial will need to submit an application on your behalf to DTC. Please see our DTC FAST Services page for more information.

Does Colonial offer services for private companies?

Colonial offers transfer agent services to private companies of all sizes. Please see our Private Company Services page to learn more information.

Can Colonial manage Stock Options or other Equity Awards?

Colonial offers a secure web-based solution for stock option tracking and equity award management. Most awards can also be managed by Colonial for an additional fee. Please see our Employee Plan Services page.

What corporate action services does Colonial provide?

Colonial can perform any type of corporate action required by your company. For more information, please see our Corporate Actions page.

What Issuer Consultation services does Colonial provide?

Colonial provides a full array of issuer consultation services ranging from money raising to distribution of shares. Please contact us or see our Issuer Consultation page to learn more.

Where do I find issuer forms?

A full list of issuer forms can be found by logging into your account online. Select forms can also be found on our Issuer Forms page.